Tuesday, April 18, 2006

TIM SYLVIA IS THE KING

ANAHEIM, CA. – Just like that a short and sweet right uppercut ended the world heavyweight title bout between Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovsky in Southern California’s first engagement with the Ultimate Fighting Championship series.

“This is the day we’ve all dreamed of,” said Dana White, UFC president and CEO who finally realized his dream of a California audience.

Former heavyweight world champion Sylvia dispensed with that informal title and grabbed the belt back again with an astonishing right uppercut and a flurry of blows on the downed Belarusian fighter Arlovsky. He was stopped at 2:43 according to referee Herb Dean.

“I work on that uppercut a lot,” said Sylvia (23-2).

The heavyweight title fight was a rematch of a fight that saw Arlovsky down Sylvia with an overhand right a year ago. It happened once again just a minute into the fight.

“I thought shit, déjà vu,” Sylvia said. “He dumped me and I got right back up.”

Arlovsky jumped to the attack but Sylvia was able to escape the ground and get back on his feet. Feeling that he had the taller American hurt, Arlovsky rushed back in to finish him. That was a mistake.

“I felt I was doing well. I underestimated him,” Arlovsky (11-4) said.

What came next was a sneak right uppercut on the point of the chin that dropped Arlovsky just like he dropped Sylvia in their previous fight. Indeed it was déjà vu.

“I think it’s the greatest feeling. It’s unbelievable. I love being the underdog," Sylvia said

by David A. Avila

No comments: